Webster defines ombre as having colors or tones that shade into each other. I have noticed an increase in ombre designs in hair colors/styles and clothing and now cakes! Ombre cakes seem to be the big thing in cake decorating these days. This cake design is fairly simple to create yet the results are amazing.
Some ombre cakes feature the color tones in the frosting, others on the inside cake and some feature a complete ombre design on the inside and outside of the cake such as the cake pictured here. This cake design is created when you apply the shades of color from light to dark. The dark color is usually at the bottom of the cake and the lightest color is at the very top, however, this can vary. You can apply your ombre frosting in many pretty designs such as petals, roses and ruffles. You can view the video tutorials on this page for step by step instructions.
To decorate a rose ombre cake such as the beautiful purple cake pictured above, you can use a Wilton 1M Star decorating tip or any similar tip. Make your frosting and separate it into bowls. Tint the frosting different shades from light to dark. Place your frosting into decorating bags with the star tip. Using your star tip create large swirls, or roses, around the cake. When finished with one layer, use the next shade of frosting to create the next layer of color.
The elegant pink cake pictured here features a frosting ombre design. Simply separate your frosting into bowls and tint each using icing color or paste. Then frost your cake in sections or layers carefully blending the colors together. This style of cake can be finished off with completely smooth surface or you can add ridges like you see in the cake pictured.
Acrylic ombre cake toppers are another great idea for your celebration. The cake toppers are 100% FDA approved and measure 3″ x 6″. You can even personalize the topper with a name or custom message. The colors you can purchase include red, blue, purple, yellow, pink, mint green and gray.
Other ombre cake designs include:
- Petal Design: Pipe blobs of frosting around the cake and using a spoon spear the blobs down either down or across. Then create your next row.
- Rose Design: Create pretty swirls using the Wilton 1M Star Decorating Tip.
- Ruffle Design: Create very thin strips of fondant using a pasta machine and add the ruffles with a taper tool. Then apply the ruffled fondant to the cake in layers.
- Buttercream Frosting: This method involves frosting the cake in layers and blending the colors together.
Making an ombre layered cake is very simple. Here are the basic steps:
- Make your cake batter using your own recipe or a boxed cake mix. White cake works best since it is easier to tint.
- Divide the batter into how many layers you want for your cake. Ombre layer cakes are generally 3 to 5 layers depending on how tall you want your cake to be.
- Using icing color or paste tint the batter various shades of the color you are using for your cake.
- Pour the cake batter into your pans.
- Bake your cakes.
- When the cakes are baked and cooled, place them on top of each other spreading frosting between each layer.
- Then frost and decorate the your cake.
- You can choose to frost your cake with an ombre style or all one color.
If you want to create ombre cupcakes for your celebration, these ombre cupcake wrappers from Dress My Cupcake would be perfect. Wrappers are available in royal blue, diamond blue, kelly green, grey, sky blue, ivory, pink, coral, plum purple, kiwi green, leaf green, yellow, red, royal purple, lavendar, black, navy blue, orange, brown and fushia. The wrappers will fit standard sized cupcakes and come in sets of 12 or 50. There are coordinating party items available such as straws, tissue pom poms and wooden spoons. Wilton sells ombre baking cups that would be perfect for your celebration.