A pull apart cake, also known as a cupcake cake, is a cake which uses cupcakes as the base and is then frosted as one cake. Since these cakes are made out of cupcakes, they are made to “pull apart”. That is where they acquired their name. When it is time to serve the treats to the party guests, you simply start pulling the cake apart and handing out the individual cupcakes.
These cakes are the latest trend in decorating. While a relatively new technique, they are quickly becoming a popular design that can be served at just about any occasion. These cakes look terrific and are a wonderful option for someone who would like to serve cupcakes at their party, yet want the look of a finished cake.
This page will feature a wonderful selection of finished cakes made by talented cake artists. I will also be spotlighting specialty pans, decorating supplies, cupcake supplies as well as many tips on how you can make one of these unique creations at your next party.
How To Make a Pull Apart Cake:
- Bake your cupcakes in paper liners. Paper liners ‘lock’ together at the ridges which will help the cupcakes stay together better
- Once cooled, place the cupcakes on the cake board you will be serving the finished cake on since the cake cannot be moved after it is decorated
- Arrange the cupcakes in a round, square, rectangular, irregular or custom shape depending on the cake you want to create
- You may want to consider spreading some buttercream or frosting on the cake board before arranging the cupcakes. This is to prevent the cupcakes from slipping as you frost them
- When arranging the cupcakes into your desired pattern, make sure the gaps between the cupcakes are very small by pressing the cupcakes as close together as possible
- Cut off the cupcake tops so that you have flat surface to frost
- Then, frost your cupcakes together as one large cake as opposed to frosting them individually as you normally would with cupcakes
- * Note: If you are creating a custom shape for your pull apart cake, you can 1.) use a template of the design as a guide when arranging your cupcake (this technique is demonstrated in the video above), or 2.) trace the pattern onto wax paper, place the paper onto the cake and poke light holes into the cupcakes around the paper pattern. Remove the wax paper and lightly draw the outline. Then, only frost the area within the pattern to create your shape.
- Once frosted, finish off your pull apart cake with small candies, sprinkles, cake decorations, frosting decorations, floral designs, a fancy border, an edible cake image, custom design, frozen buttercream transfer, etc.
There is a Create and Celebrate line of products which features 12 individual cupcakes that can be decorated as one cake and then pulled apart to eat. Cake pans are made from FDA approved food grade silicone and have a quick-release permanent non-stick surface. The pan designs in this line include Car, Truck, Flower Basket, Giant Cupcake, Butterfly, Turtle, Alligator, Bunny Rabbit, Heart, Christmas stocking, Christmas wreath, Cornucopia, Hershey’s Kiss, Penguin, Snowman, Gingerbread Boy and Halloween Pumpkin.
Nordic Ware also offers fun pull apart cake pans including Honeycomb and Cinnamon Bun. These pans are constructed of heavy cast aluminum and feature a non-stick surface.